Re: [Harp-L] Melody Makers, Paddy Richters, and recording

Richard Hunter wrote:

The solution was to use a Lee Oskar G Melody Maker, which has all the
notes needed to play the melody in second position, without bends or
overblows, in the bottom octave.  A Paddy Richter in C -- i.e. a
standard tuning with the blow 3 reed tuned up a full step, to make a
complete scale in second position in the bottom octave -- would have
worked too.

I have used Lee Oskar Melody Maker harps for several years, mainly because I
felt my bending abilities were not good enough do justice to certain songs,
especially when the melody depended on a bend on 3-hold draw.  I always
felt that I was cheating by substituting an altered harp to cover up my lack
of ability.  I was extremely glad to see a player of Richard's status say
that he also uses the Melody Maker for some songs.  I'll continue working to
improve my bending abilities, but won't hesitate to use the MM when it works
better.  Thanks Richard.