Re: [Harp-L] positions and modes

On Apr 1, 2005, at 3:42 PM, Chris Michalek wrote:
Yes.

---- Original Message ----
From: timshee@xxxxxxxxx
To: Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] positions and modes
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:40:51 -0800 (PST)

When you are speaking about 72 note scales, do you mean using microtones outside of western harmony?

Chris Michalek

Yeaaaah, but has anyone really ever made any sense out of some of those types of music? A lot of them seem to be 'locked' into their own country and in some cases region. Hindu ragas (for example) haven't exactly taken over the world. :) I don't hear too much stuff from Zamboanga, or Beatyurazzoff Uzbekistan either. :)
Seriously, I have listened to some Greek music where the notes seemed to 'blur' into each other. Not being up on this sort of thing, I guess what I was hearing were microtones? When a small child living in Europe, I used to listen to a LOT of stuff out of Wien, Praha, & Buda-Pesht. Though I loved that stuff, I could never understand the need to CONSTANTLY 'milk' notes into each other. I was so uninformed I thought the violin players were just making those sounds because they weren't hitting the notes cleanly and inasmuch as there are no frets on a violin, I guess I assumed that it was a gypsy thing done by people who had no formal musical education, and played something taught (aurally) by rote.
Boy, I guess I was wrong? (what ELSE is new :)

the ghost of smokey-joe