[Harp-L] Are some harp harder than other for some people? --- was Golden Melodies

I said earlier:
Anybody got any theories as to why the deep 3 hole bends on the Bb harp are
harder than on other harp keys?

Steve said:
I would suggest that the harp simply isn't set up as well. I have an old
SP20 Bb harp that is my "car" harp and I bend 3 draw as easily on that one as
any other key. Easier than my D harp, even, which is the one I struggle most
with.

Well my teacher feels the way I do about the Bb harp and I've heard various coments regarding this harp although not many. Also I did spend considerable time trying to set up my Bb harp although I still lack fine skills in that department. BTW, the D harp is real easy for me out of the box.

It is possible though that the physical properties of each player determine where the problem comes in (specific note and harp key). In singing, lower notes reverberate from the chest and higher notes reverberate from the head. When you sing up a scales, at some point you cross over from the chest voice to the head voice, the crossover point is usually the point where you voice weakens unless your gifted or have taken lessons to fix that. Can a similar phenomenon apply to the harp?

If it is true that the physical properties of each player determine where the problem comes in, then everyone should have at least one tough note on one key.

Can specific exercises be developped to fix the transition area if there is one as with singing?

Pierre.

Finding your voice:

http://www.lessonplanspage.com/MusicIntroductionToVocalControl-FindTheSingingVoice39.htm

----- Original Message ----- From: <Moandabluz@xxxxxxx>
Anybody got any theories as to why the deep 3 hole bends on the Bb harp are
harder than on other harp keys?

Pierre.

I would suggest that the harp simply isn't set up as well. I have an old
SP20 Bb harp that is my "car" harp and I bend 3 draw as easily on that one as
any other key. Easier than my D harp, even, which is the one I struggle most
with.
Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb