Re: [Harp-L] Amp Line out and West Side Andy

samblancato wrote:
> On my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, there is a "Pre-amp Out" and "Power
> Amp In" jack.  These are the jacks I use to loop my digital delay
> if I want to use it.  My question is this: is the "Pre-Amp Out"
> jack a line level signal that I can plug into a PA channel?

Yes, this should work.  There are a couple of things you have to
keep in mind, though.  In order to remain consistent at the sound
board from the line out, you can't change the preamp controls once
you have them set.  This means that you can't raise and lower the
Gain control to change your stage volume, use the Master instead.
You will also lose characteristics of your tone that are related to
the amplifier and the speakers and cabinet.  You may not even be
that aware of these, but some speaker/cabinet designs can have
dramatic effects on tone.  In addition, tube amplifiers also have
unique drive characteristics that you'll be bypassing to the board.
So in the interest of ease of setup and flexibility on stage, this
might be a good idea, but expect to spend some time tweaking your
sound again with this setup.  A good way to get an idea what to
expect is to run your line level signal through a small mixing board
and into a home stereo system.  This will let you know pretty much
what the sound characteristics of the mic/effects/preamp only will
be.

Have fun!

-tim

Tim Moyer