[Harp-L] Re: Shaker mics

Richard wrote:
"I own a Shaker dynamic, acquired in 1998, that I never use. The form factor is terrific; it's a joy to hold, and very lightweight. But the sound is thoroughly undistinguished, terribly bland, no real definition
or punch to it. It doesn't sound great with any rig I've tried with it, or even as good as any of the usual suspects (bullet, JT30, Shure SM-57, etc.)."

I had the exact same experience as Richard. I loved the feel of my old Shaker and loved that it's volume knob clicks as you turn it (that makes it easier to turn down and then throttle right back up to where you were), but overall the tone and response was underwhelming. I remember my research before buying one that the guy who manufactures them (Joe Harless, if I remember well) is a super nice guy and very supportive to customers. I just wish, for his sake, that his product was stronger. YMMV.
MN