Re: [Harp-L] Tongue Vibrato and Howard Levy

I think the "list" is short simply because the 'original' blues
masters ie: LW, BW, SB etc didn't do it and because 95% of all
players study those guys.

The vibrato you speak of is a classical style vibrato; Violin, cello,
vocals etc...  The easiest way to lear is through singing.  Most
people have the ability to produce a tone and then vary it in pitch.
I suggest try singing first - a note not a song.

When I teach others I try to get them to whistle a tone and then add
vibrato - that is EXACTLY the same action that is inside my mouth.

Muscle memory?  I don't know. I know I don't have to think about
doing it and when I play, I don't think to add vibrato to a certain
note.  It just comes out.  Of course I can be intentional about it if
that's the effect I want.

As for me personally, I can't roll my tongue. I can do a belly flop
but not a belly wave. However my belly does jiggle if aggitated. I
think you maybe over analysing the vibrato thing.  Take a step back
and focus on yourself as a musician instead what the tongue is doing.
Learn to do it musicially without the harp and it will come lickity
split.

I'd be happy to give a vibrato lesson over the phone if somebody
wants to call. PM for my number.

Rock on dooods

Chris

Chris Michalek