[Harp-L] [Fwd: LONG SLOT D?]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: LONG SLOT D?
From: "Bob Meehan" <customharps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, September 22, 2004 1:26 am
To: "Bob Meehan" <yeehaw@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Everyone,
I have made long slot D harps, and I have played one made for me by Joe
Filisko. I can tell you that there are good and bad things about them. Any
harp where ALL the reeds are tuned up a whole step, is very likely to be
troublesome. They are a little more responcive. They are allot of work to
build! I would rather give a customer a couple of free repairs, then to do
all the work of tuning a C harp to a D. The hardest thing about building
them is to tune the 9 and 10 reeds up a whole step. The regular D always
seems to need 4 and 5 draw reeds replaced. I think that this is because
next to the C and A harp, the D harp is the harp that gets the hardest
workout. Example, I have never had to replace a 4 draw reed on a Db harp!
Also a short slot harp. C is the first long slot key, except for MS
models. Anyway, If someone orders a bunch of customized harps from me, I
will build them a long slot D for no extra charge. However, the regular
customized D harps are just as good, in my humble opinion.
All the best,
Bob Meehan