Re: [Harp-L] Removing windsavers from chromatics

Jonathan Hill wrote:
> I was at a HOOT meeting last night (great group, btw :-)

Welcome to the club!

> and heard something about removing some of the windsavers to be
> able to achieve some bending effects/techniques.

On chromatic harps that are sufficiently airtight, removing the
windsavers will enable the kind of two-reed bends that you get on
diatonics.  You might look around on Brendan Power's site
(www.brendan-power.com) for hints on how he suggests valving
different tunings of his custom chromatics.  I believe that Mitch
Weiss, for example, plays a Richter tuned CX-10 which is half
valved, enabling two-reed bends on the lower 6 draws and the upper 4
blows, but also permitting draw bends on the upper notes and blow
bends on the lower notes.  On most production chromatics, valves are
used to reduce the amount of air leakage and permit playing with
less wind (hence their other name: windsavers).

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/