Re: [Harp-L] Chrometta

I'd say I spend an equal time with the wide embochure on the chromatic and the lighter single note embochure, so I don't think that is the problem. In listening to Clarke and/or Gruenling, I would say they spend the vast majority of the time playing octaves. I love that sound and really want to spend my time on the chromatic learning that. Another on the list suggested the super 64. I am not sure whether this is narrower (heightwise). Also don't know if the 270 might also be smaller. Do you know whether this is the case?

From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Chris Hammond" <dawgawntired@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chrometta
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:20:13 -0400

On Sep 9, 2004, at 6:13 PM, Chris Hammond wrote:

I have been spending some time sharpening my chromatic playing. A huge revelation early on was realizing that guys like Clarke, George Smith, Piazza, Gruenling, etc... use a large embochure with tongue block for the big fat octaves and intervals.

Are you thinking that they ALWAYS do this large embochure? Are YOU always using this large embochure? Chances are that they are "varying" it, and you may want to check into that first.

Here is where I have been having some problems. After extensive playing I start to get an ache in the jaw.

Most of your better players will adjust their mouth all the way from huge to infinitesimally small while playing. Using large embochure may not always be necessary, and may impose undue (read: unnecessary) stretching of the mouth/jaw.

I play CX-12's and a 280. It is much more noticable on the CX-12, but the seal is hugely better than the 280.

It appears you may be one of those who takes a big "swallow" of harmonica in your mouth (as opposed to those who play way out at the bitter end of their lips). This may not ALWAYS be necessary, thereby why use more "Strain" than necessary. Try NUMEROUS sizes of mouth opening and see if you can get what you want with less stretch. ALSO, just use the stretch when you need it and not as a matter of habit.

The chrometta harps look like they more closely resemble the Golden Melody harps I mainly play. Has anyone out there tried these out and have anything to say about their use in a George Smith style of play?

I (personally) think the Chromette has a beautiful tone/sound, but as a serious harmonica, it is a serious waste of time. And, since time is money, that too.

Anybody have any suggestions regarding the jaw pain thing?

See above, and don't stand so close to the harmonica......smo-joe

Thanks Chris