Re: [Harp-L] John Popper/LittleWalter

"Frank Franze" <Franze52@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with the conclusion that the only reason that another harmonica
> player would bash poppers playing is jealosy, or some other deeper hidden agenda

*a* reason, perhaps.  but hardly the only reason they could have.
maybe they just don't like him.

> I would be willing to bet that If one of these harp players who say that
> poppers playing stinks, showed up at one of blues travelers gigs and
> got the opportunity to get up on stage, to show popper , his band, and
> the audience how to "really play" the harmonica, that the only thing
> that this joker would prove is that he had better do a alot more wood
> sheddin, and a lot less talkin!!! And if he did'nt get booed of stage after
> his first solo, I'm sure that he would get laughed off stage after his second!!!

anyone arrogant enough to take the stage to show *any* other performer
how to "really play" should be booed offstage, for being a jerk, regardless
of their ability.  oddly enough, though, music isn't a contest, and what matters
is not technical ability but whether it works or not.  i've heard some harp players
playing very simple stuff that was amazingly evocative, beautiful stuff.  and
others who could play circles around them, but had nothing to say.

as for popper, i like some of his stuff, not all.  i like it much better when
he's taking the time to put some feeling into his playing.  the eight zillion
notes per second stuff leaves me cold.  it's interesting that he can do that,
but it just doesn't speak to me.

note that this is hardly unique to harp.  there are a number of guitar
players out there that are tremendously talented, and i sometimes feel like
i ought to like their music (given related things i like), but it just doesn't
do it for me.  so be it.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.