[Harp-L] Re: Sonny Terry & JC

Hi all,

I have been away from the list a long time about 5 years (the burning issue
at the time was the question Glenn W. brought to the list about the juke riff)
I faded away when I istarted to play the 3 row accordion, yeah baby

although Paul B's east west album was the first recorded harp I recall really
listening to, Sonny Terry was the first harp player I ever
imitated/worshiped.  The first harp album I ever owned was a 12 inch folkways "Sonny Terry and
his washboard band" which i stole from a record store while i was hitchhiking
through colorado.  I forget the name of the song but you can clearly hear Sonny
Terry say in there ""Play that one more time JC"

I got to meet JC much later in San Francisco and our band of street musicians
played in the same bar with him- he played solo of course."  But he took
notice and smiled when I did a little whoopin and played some of that diggin my
potatoes and wine headed woman stuff.

I got a copy of the tony little sun book, it was fun to look through and i
learned info from it but i have never had any luck learning diatonic through
books.  Chromatic is a different story and i taught myself to read music with the
help of a larry adler book.

I heard howard levy play once in Montreal a while back and he really brought
tears to my eyes.

John popper, im not a fan of his songs but i like his harp solos and i think
he is an original harp player, he plays faster than i can, has control, and
dosent sound like chicago blues.

The first time i heard mickey rafael play I was going to sleep with this girl
and she put the album on, a half hour later she had to pull me from the
stereo.  Wow

just some ramblings
Regards to all
Russ