To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 7:49 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] "Goodbye Charlie"

Well, as you all know, Punta Gorda was devastated by hurricane Charlie and then got hit with 2 MORE.

Today was the Goodby Charlie gathering. It was held on a huge empty lot
which USED to be an entire shopping center. At the far end of the lot
is the Holiday Inn where we used to play. A block away is the Best
Western (where we also played). BOTH gone.

We were set up on a tractor trailer stage with all the amenities and
sound equipment worthy of a Willie Nelson concert.

Our group (the Cafe s) was supposed to go on at noon and included 10
musicians. We lost the main sound board and it had to be switched out,
but at 12:15 everything was a go.

After we were finished at 2:15, the mayor & other officials spoke and
other groups went on. I'm only happy we were first as the sun was
blistering. Decent turnout (considering) of about 27-28oo.

Since we have lost 93oo people (who had to leave the area because they
lost their jobs), and over 30,ooo are still without places to live, we
ALL promised to re-build even better.

smokey joe & the Cafe s