[Harp-L] Grrr! Arrgghh! Hiss!

Rarely has the tide of crankiness washed so high on the shores of
harp-l!

Is everyone writing on an overdose of testosterone and adrenaline,
perhaps stimulated by the American League pennant games and the
upcoming World Series and federal (I almost wrote feral) election?

It is true that there is a lower level generally of musicianship among
harmonica players than, say, classical pianists. But guitarists make
many of the same complaints about their peers.

It is true that to be a professional musician takes hard work and
dedication, and that for harmonica players it's probably a good deal
harder.

It's also true that professional musicians are not gods. Their words,
while valued, are not how-dare-you-talk-back sacrosanct.

The level of huffiness about disagreeing with Bonfiglio is silly. Yes,
it's great that he checks in here. He's a conscientious, dedicated
musician who has achieved the highest pinnacle of technical, artistic,
and career success that it is possible to attain. But he's also highly
opinionated and not in the least shy about beating his own drum loudly.
That's a quality that a professional musician needs for survival, but
it can be a little offputting to someone who doesn't share the
fanatical dedication. And Robert needs no defending. Robert can dish it
out and he can also take it - which can make him a lot of fun to be
around. He doesn't need to be defended from his those who honestly
disagree and dare engage him in dialog.

You can be as good as you want to be. And you can be respected as a
musician if you want to be. Whether or not you play the harmonica is a
side issue. Be good and you'll get the respect. Prejudice will dissolve
in the face of good musicianship.

As to the definition of virtuoso? It's worth exploring together and
discussing. I really don't see the point of all these heated
thunder-and-brimstone rants that some parties have engaged in. No-one
owns the high ground; everyone has a right to state their ideas and
everyone has the right to comment. Most everyone is seeking a better
understanding.

Are we looking for fire or for smoke, light or heat?

It it's more fire and less smoke that we want, more light than heat,
then I suggest that we agree that all parties are people of good will
and accordingly conduct a civil discourse - it's the best way to arrive
at useful perspectives.

Winslow