Re: [Harp-L] virtuoso (vs crap?)

I have a few comments,

Music:  an arrangement of vocal or instrumental sounds containing some degree of rythm, harmony or melody.

Musician:  One who composes, conducts or performs music

The newbie who learns to play taps on a harp is performing music, and is hence being a musician.  To say otherwise is IMO to be elitist.  I cant stress enough how much respect and deference I have for the skills and abilities of guys like Robert Bonfiglio, but top notch musicians dont hold a monopoly on music.  Performing music is a deeply rooted folk tradition in many many cultures, and it is only recent generations that have turned their backs on this.

Sure...99.5% of harp players are not very good in comparison to the leaders and innovators.  So what?  I dont hang with the music crowd, but everyone I know pretty much has studied or practiced guitar at some point or another.  One of them is what I would call talented.  Several of them can play bits of songs.  Several of them can read music, and can play more than 2 scales.  Of the ones who know a bit about scales, all but one of them learned by playing other instruments such as piano.  Do you really think it's any different for guitar than for harp?  If guitar can be taken seriously in jazz and classical settings in spite of the thousands and thousands of hacks out there, then I cant accept that it is me and my ilk that are holding back the harp.

What I love most about our instrument is that virtually anyone can afford one, and virtually anyone can make music on it with a little practice, but for the truly dedicated, there is a whole other level it can be taken to.