Re: [Harp-L] Virtuosity on

Pierre you are WAY out of line.  Robert has it right and you are
shortsighted.

>>Its a slow post week, so I thought I'd reply to Robert's post.
>>
>>It is harmonica players that hold back the image of the harmonica.
>Do what
>>> a violin player does to learn to play - practice scales and
>arpeggios for
>>> 2
>>> hours a day for 10 years, learn piano, sight-singing, keyboard
>harmony,
>>> etc. - how about just practice the scales for 2 hours a day for 10
>years
>>> and then let's talk about the harmonica as "half" an instrument.
>>
>>Hey Robert,
>>
>>Are you saying that people who play half the harmonica are holding
>back the
>>instrument? and because of this some people with prejudice stayed
>home
>>rather then come to see you play.

I agree that people who play half the instrument are holding it back
and believe that 99.5% of all harmonica players are crap musicians.
Can't read music, can't write music, can't swing, can't play a single
note, can't play melodies, do not know harmony or theory, can not
play intentionally the list goes on....

>>IMO that's not the problem, the problem is simply a problem of
>numbers.
>>There are very few harmonica players in the world and because of
>this, there
>>are few people ready to dedicate their lives to playing this
>instrument and
>>because of this there are few virtuosos of the harmonica and so
>99.95% of
>>the people have no idea what this instrument can do.

The harmonica is one of the most prolific instruements on the planet.
Nearly everyone has had or played a harmonica during early childhood.
The harmonica is a difficult instrument to play well. There are few
people ready to dedicate a career to the harmonica because it is
still considered a toy by most people. It is also considered a fluke
to play it well.  It is an uphill battle if you want to be a serious
harmonica player.  The notion of a professional harmonica player is
still in its infancy.

The problem is
>>compounded by the fact that the diatonic (at least) is half an
>instrument in
>>a sense; it was not designed to be a classical or even a blues
>instrument
>>and so is very hard to play well, let alone master even half of it.

This diatonic is NOT 1/2 an instrument.  Whether or not it was
designed to play something other than Blues, Jazz, classical is moot
because there are people who can legitimately play that music.

>>I can understand that you are pissed because some people stay home
>because a
>>harmonica player is playing. But look at the good side, you're the
>big fish
>>in the little pond. If you were a violinist, you might be a second
>or third
>>fiddle and if you were a guitarist or pianist then you would might
>be in the
>>audience.

Robert Bonfiglio is a steller musician.  It is his personality and
drive that makes him a virtuoso not his choice of instrument.  I'm
positive he'd be further along in his career is he had chosen a more
"traditional" instrument. We are lucky to have a person like
Bonfiglio to play our instrument. His efforts should be applauded.
He's chosen a harder road and a more challenging instrument. Because
of his ability more and more people will treat YOU better because HE
legitimizes the instrument you play.

>>You picked the instrument, take your lumps and don't take it out on
>us
>>folks.  Keep on working and enjoy what you can get since you have a
>rare
>>chance of being the greatest ever classical harmonica player and
>perhaps you
>>will educate some.

He is and has.  There are no other classical harmonica players that
can play with real emotion and intensity. Heed his words.  He has
every right to think most harmonica players are crap. no one on this
list has the skills to say what you've just said to Robert.

A personal note on Robert Bonfiglio.   Robert is one of the more
generous and thoughtful persons I have ever encountered. I feel
honored to know him and to have once been his guest at one of his
concerts. I may not understand the music he plays at his level but I
could FEEL it at mine.  In my book you've made it as a musician when
your music is bootlegged on sold on the blackmarket. I have all of
Bonfiglios CDs that I bought legally.  I also have all of his albums
that I bought illegally - not to take money away from Robert but as a
marker of what I hope I can one day acheive. Bonfiglio has "made it"
on the highest order.  There is a blackmarket for his music and he
plays to 1000s of people who listen and enjoy his every note.

A standing ovation from me to Bonfiglio as a person and musician.
Two thumbs down with mouth tongue sticking out to Pierre for your
note and shortsightedness.

Chris Michalek
The avenger of the downtrodden

At least the people on the list has some