Re: [Harp-L] Virtuosity on "half" an instrument - holding back the image of the harmonica.

Its a slow post week, so I thought I'd reply to Robert's post.

It is harmonica players that hold back the image of the harmonica. Do what
a violin player does to learn to play - practice scales and arpeggios for
2
hours a day for 10 years, learn piano, sight-singing, keyboard harmony,
etc. - how about just practice the scales for 2 hours a day for 10 years
and then let's talk about the harmonica as "half" an instrument.

Hey Robert,

Are you saying that people who play half the harmonica are holding back the instrument? and because of this some people with prejudice stayed home rather then come to see you play.

IMO that's not the problem, the problem is simply a problem of numbers. There are very few harmonica players in the world and because of this, there are few people ready to dedicate their lives to playing this instrument and because of this there are few virtuosos of the harmonica and so 99.95% of the people have no idea what this instrument can do. The problem is compounded by the fact that the diatonic (at least) is half an instrument in a sense; it was not designed to be a classical or even a blues instrument and so is very hard to play well, let alone master even half of it.

I can understand that you are pissed because some people stay home because a harmonica player is playing. But look at the good side, you're the big fish in the little pond. If you were a violinist, you might be a second or third fiddle and if you were a guitarist or pianist then you would might be in the audience.

You picked the instrument, take your lumps and don't take it out on us folks. Keep on working and enjoy what you can get since you have a rare chance of being the greatest ever classical harmonica player and perhaps you will educate some. At least the people on the list has some understanding of how hard it is to be that good.

With great respect,

Pierre.

PS: Do you think those guys who stayed home would go see a 'banjo' player (I'm thinking Béla Fleck). Hey, their loss.