[Harp-L] Re: Jam Camp

Hi Gregg and fellow list users,

I can't add much to Winslow's extremely comprehensive report. As my colleague, buddy and fellow attendee' dr. d AKA Dave Fertig noted on the Bluescruise that only at the Jam Camp has he experienced such a high level infusion of talent that sinks in through osmosis.

This camp reinforced the goals that I had stated in an earlier post entitled my evolution. There were areas that are much more clear such as the statement that Winslow made about conceptualizing the harp in a mulitdimensional view. The ability to understand the scale degrees and then see the patterns emerging of playing as if you are in second position when you come to the appropriate chord change while you are in first position was a major breakthrough for me. It still needs reinforcement but I can honestly say that I understand and feel it. The team of Jon and Dennis really helped.

Other important issues for me included techniques. All the teachers were patient and spent a lot of time making sure I could reproduce accurately. This does not mean that I am fully engrained but now I am confident that with reasonable work I can make this happen. I was not as secure after my first camp. I could see the goals but I was stumbling on the details that I didn't quite grasp.

There is so much I could say but I really want to get the harp in my mouth and practice so I am really not going to be as comprehensive as Winslow. I can only second his comments. What I would like to add is how I really appreciated Allen's theory class. It finally made sense since I was able to integrate the scale degress, position patterns and Allen's chart on Voice Leading and Chord inversions. Add to this note shaping that Jon does so very well and of course hearing that level of developing crescendos with vibratto and full tone by all the teachers was empowering and developed a more artistic appreciation of our down and dirty yet oh so expressive and powerful instrument that has so many voices and moods.

I hope this helps. Gregg, I think you have made a very wise decision to attend. This was my second camp. My advice. Take what you want and can. Don't expect to get everything. There is so much on so many levels. You are on your way.

Also Mark Wilson deserves a lot of credit for organizing and more importantly his love and execution of Third Position on the low harps. You have really come along big guy.

Best wishes to you for a great Jam Camp experience.

--
Dennis B. Alters, MD

Diplomate, American Board of
Psychiatry and Neurology
Diplomate, American Board of
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

-------------- Original message from "Gregg-home" : --------------

I am interested in attending an upcoming Jam Camp...so I hope you will post a detailed recap of your experience on Harp-L.  Or...feel free to reply to this email.

Thanks Doc.

Gregg Stone
Dallas, tX