RE: [Harp-L] Virtuosity

I don't even know whether there's any such thing as a virtuoso, and even if there is I wouldn't like to be the one to have to write the definition. One thing I do know is that there's more to it than being a consummate master of technique. My son, now aged 24, is a very talented guitarist, (though, lamentably, he has yet to find an outlet for his playing). He was taught by a well-known classical guitarist/lutenist through his school years. Once, his teacher organised a "masterclass" which was taken by an eminent Hungarian classical guitarist. I was sitting in on this when it was my son's turn to come under the "master's" scrutiny. My son duly played his prepared piece, rather well I thought at the time. But, just as he finished the piece, the "master" seized the guitar and said in broken English: "you played the notes very very well. But now I show you how to play music..."

That evening the Hungarian played a concert for all the pupils and parents. The music-making was sublime, and not once did I think about the guy's "technique." My son is now into Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers big-time, but he still talks affectionately about that day.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger