[Harp-L] Re: stevie's virtuosity

Someone wrote:

> Stevie Wonder was probably a natural talent. He was great, but he never
> became a virtuoso.

Harmonica John Frazer replied:

I don't know if Stevie reads music in Braille. IMHO he doesn't have to. He is
too a virtuoso.

Boy! if Stevie Wonder isn't a virtuoso, I don't know who is.  This caused me to
pull out the ole dictionary.

Virtuoso: 1. A person who has special knowledge or skill in a field, esp. in
musical technique.  2. A person who has cultivated an appeciation of artistic
excellence.

Wow, that makes most of the list a virtuoso.  Certainly most of us satisfy #2.

This definition leaves me lacking though.  When I think of a virtuoso, I think
of mastering your instrument with an ability to cross musical styles; an
ability to play in a wide variety of styles, more than just competently, but
with excellence; an ability to explore new territory where the instrument is
not commonly found or heard.  Hmmm, Howard Levy? Bonfiglio? Anyone else?

Maybe I'm setting the bar too high.  What are your thoughts?

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com