[Harp-L] re: Fitting switchcraft plug to green bullet

Hi Ken -

I was waiting for other responses to your question since I'm also interested in approaches to this. I guess I'll offer my own slant - just don't take it as the only way. I've seen the screw-on connectors attached in a couple of different spots. All I have tried is putting them in the hole where the cable used to run through so that is what I'll describe.

In my case, I don't like to alter my old shells so instead of widening the cable hole, I narrow down the barrel of the plug instead. Apart from keeping the shell unmolested in order to permit reverting to a fixed cable, it is a tricky business getting the shell to stay put in a vice or whatever for drilling or reaming the cable hole. If it wasn't for that, I might very well take that approach instead.

I reduce the "barrel" diameter of the plug with a grinder. A metal lathe would be best, and I actually have a friend with one but I haven't bothered him for this. It is a big help to screw on a 1/4" plug adapter so you have something to hold. Just go slow and check against the mic every little bit until a tight but workable fit is attained. You have to grind right down past the little ring of "fins" on the plug, but no more than neccesary or else you can end up cutting the plug in two (voice of experience there). It is important to keep it square on, and to cut a nice right angle at the base end so it will sit flush on the shell.

A tight fit is obviously better than a loose one. You want it to be very tight without the need for the set screw to keep it snug. You can start it in by hand and then rap it on a piece of wood to get it seated nice and tight.

For the ground wire, Shure was kind enough to leave a couple of nice big cylindrical stand-offs inside the Green Bullets. It isn't hard to drill these and tap them for a small screw, and from there you can screw down the ground wire or else attach a proper grounding lug to solder to.

If you ever get an Astatic Biscuit shell, the cable hole in those is exactly right for pressing in a Switchcraft adapter with no need to alter anything. Just rap it on a board or something and it will stay put for life.

While we're on the subject, these adapters are sometimes hard to find, and overpriced from some sources. Even when you know Mouser sells them, their catalog isn't easy to navigate, so here are the Mouser part numbers:

Screw-on adapter - 502-2501MP
1/4" plug  adapter - 502-332A
Female screw-on terminator for making cables - 2501F

Disclaimer - I know some folks on this list probably offer these too, not to mention other non-harp suppliers. I only list this information because I can never find these parts when I need them.

I hope this is some help. These are definitely a great way to get a foolproof connection, and they look good.

Dean in Arkansas