[Harp-L] re: woodshed

Find some friends to jam with. When I practice I tend to stay in 2nd position
and play blues licks. Spent hours last night jamming with friends. It forced me
to play major pentatonic fiddle riffs, 5th position minor scales (played Lirttle
Wing what fun!). Gets me out of my comfort zone. Let's me know what I need to
work on. So when I go down to the basement to practice I know I have to spend
some time with my third position playing. I go through my CDs, put on some Jr
Wells just to see what he does, what he plays, try to pick up some riffs just
so I can get used to where the notes are and how to play them.Learn the
language.

When jamming make yourself use techniques you're not comfortable with. Change
embrochures, use vibrato, play in odd positions. You start figuring out when
2nd position major pentatonic works and when you're better off playing 1st
position. Learn when you need a fifth position minor scale, when you want 3rd
position, when you want a natural minor harp. Fun stuff.

I play for fun. At some point you have to spend some time playing scales. You
have to memorize where the notes are in a couple of positions and there's
really only one way to do it.

So practice techniques, try the techniques with friends, dissect your playing,
and go back and practice some more.

Relax, have fun, don't be too hard on yourself.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm