Re: [Harp-L] What's that trick?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Harmonica Jervis" <harmonica@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] What's that trick?

Hi all,

after watching the great American Folk Blues Festival DVD's, I have a
question. I see SBWII and Sonny Terry doing it a couple of times: holding
the harmonica in their playing hand (SBWII: left, ST: right) and as they are
playing, they bring the other hand up to the harp and put 2 or 3 fingers to
the harp and place them on the body of the harp. (Sonny Terry does a lot of
other things with his non-playing hand too, but I mean just placing those
fingers on the body). The fingers just rest on the body.

I do not hear any special effect, so what's the point of this technique?
Does it just look good? Is it to keep the harmonica in place? Is there a
secret button on their harp? Does it guide the airstream through their
sleeves and do they do an armpit-vibrato?

Hi Jervis,
Two main reasons: one being for show, and the other to shape the tone and overall sound, and there's no secret button. Many harp players don't make particularly good use of their hands to help shape the sounds/notes of what they're playing.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com