Re: [Harp-L] The Woodshed vs. the Stage

It's fascinating to read about other  players' woodshedding techniques, and
it's always great to see dedication in  action.  As someone who's fought a
lifelong battle with Attention Deficit  Disorder, and spends a remarkable amount
of time every day just looking for his  freakin housekeys, I've worked out a
practice schedule that allows me to advance  without suffering--or at least
without acting like too much of a martyr about  it.  But as the son of educators
and a former teacher myself, I think the  "no pain no gain" concept should've
gone out with glam-rock, leg-warmers for  workouts, and dot-com billionaires.
Actually, it comes from a German  philosophy of education that was formed at
the start of the 19th century to  stress the importance of fear, punishment,
and--yeah--pain.  Children  should be, according to this philosophy--which is
now the prevailing  one--hand-tooled into cogs of industry.  The kids that don't
respond to  this technique are perfectly free to pursue other things, mainly
the arts,  crime, or both.

Any "pain" associated with becoming a good  harp player is wasted emotion,
and worse, a sure way to slowly kill, rather than  nurture, the impulse you had
to be a harp player in the first place.  Are  you--or am I--willing to endure
bloody lips, brutal frustration, and those  particularly creepy moments when
it almost seems your brain is forcing you to  play the wrong interval when you
KNOW the right one and have played it a hundred  times?  Sure we are--but not
to be recognized as master technicians.   For the best artists I know, in any
field, it's because there's  some powerful force inside them that would make
their heads explode unless  they used their art to share it with other people.
(As John Lee Hooker put  it, in telling his wife why it's OK for their son to
boogie: "it's in him, and  it's got to come out.") Mastering technique is
only a means to this end.   Acheiving full chromacity on a diatonic is a great
way of expressing a full  range of emotion--but as we know from many past
masters, not the only one.   Same with copping difficult licks, etc.  But I've
found, over the years, a  pleasant surprise: sometimes you don't know what you know
until you leave the  woodshed (where some of us were literally taken out for
a beating--unfortunate  word) for the stage.  I'm happier on a stage than I am
anywhere else.   My heartbeat slows.  I bask in the feeling of mounting the
stage with my  posse of musicians.  I sense that we're about to send the
crowd--2 or  2,000--into a free and joyful place where they're going to lose their
self-consciousness in the music, shedding their "I'm too fat" or "I'm too shy"
 or "I'm too old" inhibitions so they can dance and scream until everyone is
completely drenched in sweat.

And the strange thing is: it's onstage  that I always find out how much I
know.  When you're desperate to go  someplace on the harp, when your whole
body--and not just your brain--needs that  piece of technique that you've practiced
and practiced and supposedly never  "learned," it's amazing how often you nail
it without a second thought.   Sure, you have to practice with focus and
discipline, so the knowledge is there  to retrieve.  But unless you're driven to
retrieve it by a passionate  need--and not just because you copped a Big Walter
riff and want to display  it--how can you know what you know?  Sorry to go on
so long, not sure I  expressed it well--maybe I can make it clearer this way:
"No joy, no  gain."

Peace and Respect
Johnny T