[Harp-L] The Woodshed

***
With winter coming up I am trying to think up some sort of structured,
disciplined plan for making real growth in my playing skills, a plan of
studies if you will. I don't just want to break out the harps and blow,
following the path of least resistance. I know I'll figure out *some*
kinds of activities that will get me some improvement... <snip>
***

Hi Sam,

There's an old rule of thumb that we should spend about 90% of our time
doing our work and 10% of our time figuring out how to do our work better.

In this case, the work is improving our skills on harmonica.  It sounds
like you are now thinking about the other 10%, how to practice more
effectively.

I'll point you to a blog of mine which explains a lot, so I don't have to
retype it all here.
http://www.onlinejam.org/blog/?q=node/view/211
I've made some modifications to this, but the basic structure is still the
same.

Basically, I do a one hour practice 3 nights a week.
This practice always goes the same way:

Drills
Focused technique
Lick
Song
Dave Barrett exercise
Free jamming to a jam track

I have a list of metronome speeds for each drill.  As I master a drill at
one speed, I check it off and move up to the next speed.  I found that it
was not helpful to try doing all the drills at the same speed.	Some are
much easier to do fast than others.  Here's a part of my drill chart to
give you an idea:

Diatonic Scale	1+ 1- 2+ 2?- 3+ 3?-  3-  4°+ 4°- 5°+ 5°- 6°+ 6°- 7°- 7°+
		100  104  108  112  116  120  126  132	138  144

Blues Scale	2-  3?-  4°+  4°-  5°-	6°+  7°-  7°+  8°-  9°-  9°+
		100  104  108  112  116  120  126  132	138  144

Dorian Scale	1-  2?-  2-  3?-  4+  4-  5-  6+  6-  7+  8-
		100  104  108  112  116  120  126  132	138  144

Tongue Slap	4°+  4°-  5°+  5°-  6°+  5°-  5°+  4°-
		120  126  132  138  144  152  160  168	176  184

Octaves        (14)+ (14)- (25)+ (25)- (36)+ (25)- (25)+ (14)-
	       144  152  160  168  176	184  192  200

		(47)+ (48)- (58)+ (59)- (69)+ (59)- (58)+ (48)-
		100  104  108  112  116  120  126  132	138  144

I just cross off the speeds as I've mastered the drill at that speed, and
move to the next one.  I usually go through each drill 3 or 4 times, so it
doesn't take too long and makes a nice warmup.	I try to gain one click in
metronome speed a week, but don't sweat it if I don't.

I pick a new technique to focus on each week and spend 5 to 10 minutes
working on it.	This week was pucker pulls, before that was 2 and 3 draw
bend accuracy, the week before that was train effects, before that blow
bends, and so on.

I also pick one lick out of my box of licks each week and spend a while
working on that every practice session.  First I learn it, then practice
it to jam tracks at increasing speeds.

I usually pick a new song to work on every week or two or three.  Just
depends on how long it takes me to learn the song, but I try to just work
on one song at a time.	Sometimes it is a song I have some tab for,
sometimes I have sheet music, sometimes nothing.  In any case, I work on
the song until I have a solid way of comping or filling, a good intro and
ending, and at least two good solos for it.  I chart this stuff out in a
little song book, so I have a way to remember it when I come back to it
later.

I'm going again through the first Dave Barrett book (Basic Blues Harmonica
Method).  Trying to do one exercise a night.  Sometimes I do something out
of another book, but I'm trying to work through this one so I can justify
to myself buying the level 2 material.

Finally, with whatever time is left in the hour, I pop in a jam track and
let 'er rip.

I used to try to budget how much time I spent on each part of this
structured practice (i.e. 10 minutes for drills, 5 minutes on the lick,
etc.) but I quit doing this.  I spent too much time looking at my watch
and often got frustrated by either feeling like I was spending way too
long on something or time was up too soon on something else.  Now I just
go on each thing until I think I've got it, and the practice still takes
about an hour.

I do a short practice on Sunday morning, and spend the rest of the time
trying to record something.  Either a song or some stuff I've worked up
for a jam track.

And I still practice over the lunch hour for 30 minutes whenever I can,
usually 3-4 days a week.  This is usually just drills followed by jamming
or working on whatever song I'm currently doing.

For me, finding time for effective practice is a lot easier if I have
everything I need close to hand.  I've got tapes, harps, metronome, tuner,
practice diary and songbook all in a toolbag that goes everywhere with me.

For practices at home, I've got everything set up in the garage, so all I
have to do is take my harp bag out there and start blowing.

Don't do what I do, but think about what your goals are, what knowledge,
skills, and abilities you need to achieve them, and how you need to
practice to get the skills.  Then get organized in a way that works for
you.

Best of luck.

Best regards,
Mike Holcomb