[Harp-L] The Woodshed

Hi Guys,

With winter coming up I am trying to think up some sort of structured,
disciplined plan for making real growth in my playing skills, a plan of
studies if you will.  I don't just want to break out the harps and blow,
following the path of least resistance.  I know I'll figure out *some* kinds
of activities that will get me some improvement, probably along four lines -
learning songs of the masters note for note (I'd like to do about 8),
working on overblows (Jason Ricci inspired me), more work on 3rd position
and more throat vibrato (I've actually made some progress here).

When I started thinking about this stuff in terms of making a plan and
sticking to it I got to wondering with you all do about this sort of thing.
Do you all have strict practice regimens, with goals in mind or are you all
doing what I described above - you know, the path of least resistance?

Many years ago, I spent the summer of 1984 living sharing an apartment with
my brother, who is a very accomplished pianist.  That summer he was working
on this one piece, a Shuman Fantasy. He was waiting on tables at the time,
and worked at night. In the morning he would get up at 8:00 and practice
until 3:00 everyday.  He had a lot of dedication. If I did this sort of
practicing  it sure would make a difference in my playing but I've never
been that devoted.  Now, though, I feel a strong desire to really make a
jump forward in my playing and I know it will mean taking a more structured
tack.

So, I was wonder what other harpers experiences were. I read a recent post
wherein someone - I forget who - remembers having had Howard Levy Stay with
them and he just played the his harmonicas constantly. Just think how good
you could get if all you did was play the harp all the time.  Or maybe you
would just become a really obsessive, harmonica geek ; -).

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh