Re: [Harp-L] Looking for a good overblow harp

Eric,

I will be in DC area, Los Angeles, Chicago and Milwaukee areas in for the 20 coming days.
If you're around, I can meet you to show you my Weltmeister Harmonicas (Similar as Bushman) and explain to you during my kindda demo why some harmonicas are better than others etc etc... and this scientifically. No prob. I wold be glad to help you.

Regards,

Froggy

Eric Lubeck <blork@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Bouman wrote:

>Hi Eric
>
>Please check :
>www.planetharmonica.com
>
>there you'll find an article about playing chromatically on a richter harp.
>A few customized harps are reviewed and amongst them is one of my harps...
>
>I'll be glad to answer all your questions on how to set-up a harp...
>
>Ben Bouman
>Holland
>www.marbletones.com
>www.marble-amps.com
>www.harmonicainstituut.com

Okay, I understand the logic in learning to work an out of the box
harp. I'm gonna continue to work on my SP20 as I have already done some
basic gapping work and it's seen quite alot of wear so i can afford to
mess around with it.
I could use alot more advice on how to gap a harp. I'm getting
better all the time but right now ive got a few reeds responding slowly,
presumably from holes gaped far too low. I'm also having quite a
problem getting consistent response(but even i'm better than an out of
the box harp). Additional gapping know how would be quite appreciated.
I've also heard of a techinque called embossing the reeds that seems
to close the gap between reed plate and reed. I'm intrested in
exploring this technique but it sounds a bit risky and precise for my
current skills. Some advice and know-how would be appreciated.

P.S.- As it was recommended that I not get a customized harp for now
and instead learn to set up harps myself i'm looking for a new stock
harp that would be good for overblowing and adjusting as my SP20 is at
the end of it's life. Currently i'm looking at the Bushman harmonica's
because of their supposed durability,consistency, cost of replacement
plates(10 bucks!) and apparently easy ability to overblow. My favorite
harp yet has been a friends vintage 1923, but I find that they are hard,
but not impossible, to overblow because of the thicker reeds. I also
hear that the golden melody is a fine ob hap. Oppinions and suggestions
please.

Thanks