Re: [Harp-L] Why use an effects pedal?

On Oct 9, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Smo-joe wrote:
"Lee Oskar used to play very cleanly. The last couple time I heard
him live, he used a lot of effects. I didn't like it. He also has been
dragging out tunes for up to 13+ minutes. Don't like that either. I
feel if a person wants to play harmonica, they should play
harmonica. If they want a lot of effects, get a Millionizer."

So, like, Little Walter shoulda played the Millionizer, I guess, instead
of putting the harp through a tube amp?

Hi Richard. You're not getting upset are you? Don't take it so seriously. After all, who the hell am I?
The 3 times I heard Little Walter he was: (1) drunk, (2) excellent, (3) ON something. I was a lot younger then (19) and quite possibly if his playing fit the locale, mood, music, I probably appreciated it for what it was at the time. I don't think I was as "refined" in my taste(s) back then. But, LW had every right to do whatever LW did. I (of course) had the prerogative to like it or dis-like it.

With due respect, this is the 21st century.

Ya got me there. I guess I'm just a neanderthal. I have ALWAYS said I would have been happier 100 years ago. Just pretend I'm in 1904. :) I've played with Lee. I suppose I am too ingrained in his older stuff. I like to think of him as melodic and harmonic. After all isn't harmonica a derivitive of harmonic? He is too clean a player to need any outside influences. On top of that he has more personality than any 3 people have a right to. Every time I see his Cherubic face, I get all warm and bubbly.

  Every other musician in the
world is using lots of effects, and I don't see why harmonica players
ought to make a point of being ignorant about it.

You're right, of course, but I was merely making a personal observation. Perhaps it wasn't something to put on the list or at least not in the fashion it was written (or taken). It all comes down to this. A person may acquiesce to something. Maybe it's something they have no control over. But that doesn't mean they have to like it. I'm allowed to NOT like something..no? And when I say not like, it's not so serious as if to say "despicably despise", or "horrendously hate", or some such extreme explative. It's closer to "I prefer not to", or "It's not my cup of tea". No biggie.

Hell, we've already
got a reputation for being ignorant about everything else where music is
concerned.

Hmmm, how in the hell did THAT happen?

I've released two CDs containing nothing but solo harmonica performances, with no effects other than reverb,

Yes, you are a mighty fine player. You are ALSO one of the cleanest players in the country. As I recall, you used NO effects when I heard you. I feel (again..MY opinion), the better the player, the less need for effects. The player BECOMES the whole enchilada.

 so I don't have
anything to prove where purely acoustic harmonica is concerned.

I can dig it.

But if
I want to use an effects chain as long as the Panama Canal, I'm going to
do it.

Sure you can. Like I always say "I may not agree with what you play, but I will defend to my death you're right to play it.

Keep on doing what you're doing, and don't change a thing.

smokey joe (with EXIT). Why do we call ourselves exit?..cause we always wanted to see out name up in lights. :)

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com