[Harp-L] 12 years and counting

Harp-l quietly passed the 12 year mark this Wednesday the 6th of October. We've had some dark days in the past. Most notably a couple of service outages one of which lasted for a month or more. Chris Pierce the founder of the list had written me during that one, coinicidently it fell during the 10th anniverserary of the list. If you're out there Chris my thanks to you for your vision and pioneering spirit. For anyone interested the archives now have the first several years, here's a link to day one. http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/1992-October/date.html

My thanks to the list membership the quality of postings has vastly improved from several years ago and I think we're finally figuring out how to disagree and not be quite so nasty about it. In years past the big knock on harp-l has been that it is an experts list and not so tolerant of beginers, dismissive responses were often posted to beginer questions. I have not seen any of that in a very long time. Anyhow the cultural shift has been quite noticeable and it is reflected in our traffic. We're back to being consistently the largest harmonica list on the internet both in membership and actual traffic and posting.

Finally I'd like to thank my collaborator and co-conspirator Ben Nathanson. His desire to restore the harp-l archives was indeed the catalyst for the change that is this new interface and isp. It's amazing to me how much easier this job (listowner) is with all these new tools for processing bounces and subscriber requests. Even more important than that is being able to write Ben and get another opinion, often differing from mine, on the various day to day problems that crop up on the list.

fjm harp-l-listowner