Re: [Harp-L] Looking for a good overblow harp

Pierre wrote:
> BTW why is louder better, my wife and kids (and neighbours) do not
> want louder. What makes Filisko harps louder anyways? is it the
> covers? or does more responsive mean louder?

I don't think there's the assumption that a customized harmonica is
necessarily "louder", unless that's a requirement, something you've
specifically asked to be enhanced (sometimes the double reed plate
models are described as being louder).  In fact, one of the great
things about more reponsive harps is that they can be played more
quietly.  But they can also encourage you to play more resonantly,
which can give you more volume from less effort.  But more
responsive harps give you the ablity to better exploit the dynamics
of the harp, so you have more headroom to get louder when you need
to, without having to play at the top of your volume all the time.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/