Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Joe Filisko Sound Sample

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:30:37 -0000
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd:  RE: [Harp-L] Joe Filisko Sound Sample
[Joe F]
He makes it sound impressive by making his chords sound huge (just-
tempered chords?),
</quote>

Sounds like it.
  However he's playing in first position, which wouldn't work well with a 7
Limit interval for draw hole 5 (and 9) - so its no surprise to hear it isn't
tuned that way.
  Draw hole 5 (and 9) might be tuned to the 3 Limit 4th of the harp's home
key, or a 19 Limit harmonic from draw 4.  What ever the case its clear draw
5 is melodically closer to the key of the harmonica, than you'd get with a 7
Limit interval.

It may be the quality of the recording, but I also hear mild distortion when
he plays intervals and chords.

  Very impressive both musically and technically whatever the setup.
Hearing Joe live for the first time was a big revelation to me.

-- G.