[Harp-L] Richard Hunter FREE subscriber download for October 2004

This month's FREE download to my subscriber list is from my archives.
"Put The Lever Down" was originally released in 1982 as the B side of my
first 45 RPM single on Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Arf Arf records.
At the time it was very well received by critics and musicians,
especially in Boston.  It was the theme song for a Worcestor,
Massachusetts-based National Public Radio show about harmonica called
"The Tin Sandwich".  If I may say so, it remains a strikingly original
and groovin' piece of harmonica electronica.  Blues harmonica players
are likely to be interested in it for a number of reasons; it's very
much blues for the late 20th century.

I used three harmonicas on "Lever Down."  The first plays the
octave-jumping figure that anchors the piece, and also the lead (along
with the second).  The third is a rare Chordomonica II, which plays the
chorded figure that supports the lead.  The lead harmonicas are played
through a Boss BF2 Flanger into a vintage Fender Champ amplifier that
producer Erik Lindgren pulled out of the garbage in front of someone's
house a few days earlier.  (Note to readers: if you are planning to put
a vintage Fender Champ in your garbage, please call me collect first.)

The lead harmonica on the piece was played in the key of A minor on a
Dorian-tuned diatonic in the key of G, to my knowledge the first time
such an instrument was used in a commercial recording.  The bass line
was played on an electric guitar running through a Boss octave divider.
To put it mildly, this tune has its own sound goin' on.

I wrote the piece in the parking lot of a roller skating rink in
Taunton, Massachusetts.  The entire recording, from first note to final
mix, took 5 hours.  When you're hot, you're hot.

This piece is available for download ONLY to subscribers. All you have
to do to be a subscriber is send me a valid email address, and I'll tell
you where to get the latest download every month.  See
http://www.hunterharp.com/freemus.html for the very few remaining
details.

Enjoy,
Richard Hunter