Re: [Harp-L] Fwd: Strange discovery (diminished chords)

> From: Jonathan Hill <jonathan.f.hill@xxxxxxxxx>
> I just noticed that draw holes on a regularly tuned diatonic are
> exactly the same for 3 thru 6 and 7 thru 10. And there's a nice
> diminished chord on 3 thru 5 and 7 thru 9. I don't know why I've never
> noticed this before, but its there. So based on this symmetry how do
> some of you develop melodic ideas by taking advantage of this setup?

I'm no heavy (as a player :0)) but that's just what you get with modes
(positions) on a diatonic instrument if you don't bend any notes out of
mode. Each mode has a diminished chord within the mode, it just moves to a
new place according to the shift of all of the notes..

1st position (Ionian) VII diminished
2nd position (Mixolydian) III diminished
3rd position (Dorian) VI diminished
4th position (Aeolian) II diminished

You might find this chart to be of interest, it folds down the middle and
goes into a 7 harp case.
  http://trinity.psnw.com/~dlmurray/thing.html

Peace and music,
Dave