[Harp-L] Re: Airport security and harps

hafa adai, all, from sunny guam,

i fly about 120,000 miles per year, and i have passed through quite a few airport security checkpoints as well as overland borders over the years. while no expert in the matter of getting searched at the security gate, i have figured out a few tricks......

first, fyi, here is a list of most of the airports i've frequented since 9/11 - in no particular order:

Guam (last week)
Saipan
Yap
Palau
Chuuk
Narita
Kansai
Manila
Hong Kong
Beijing
Shanghai
Honolulu
Dubai
addis ababa
San Francisco (last week)
Denver (last week)
Albuquerque (last week)
JFK
La Guardia
Dulles
National
Detroit
Chicago

1. every airport is a bit different - the rules may be standardized, but in practice, procedures can vary quite a bit from airport to airport(and airline to airline), especially overseas airports. for example, while most have done away with the this little hassle, some still snag you at the gate - security personnel with set up tables in the jetway for yet another annoying search of your carry on bags. (i've figured out how to usually avoid that inconvenience, but due to security concerns, i cannot reveal this technique!)

2. some airports, like Hong Kong and Kansai - will hand-check all your to-be-checked-in bags at check-in -- this can only be avoided by traveling carry-on only. typically, though, it's only on US carriers or aircraft destined for the USA. i believe this system is employed when there are no x-ray machines at check-in. at Hong Kong they do it for everyone; at Kansai Intl., on the other hand, they do it randomly. oh, at the security gate in japan, they now ask if your carry on bag as water in it. anyone know what that's about? (i guess it means, like harp players who know already know better say: do not soak, especially when flying!)

3. i believe that the security gate metal detectors can be adjusted for strength - and not all are the same potency. so some might call out your harps, some might not. the way to avoid trouble at the gate is to empty your pockets of all metal, including gum foil, heavy metal belt buckles, work-boots with steel toes, your watch, coins, keys, metal pens, metal shades, and your EV 920 mic. as soon as you trigger the alarm, you are destined for a basic search.

4. the machine at the security gate that your bags go through is getting better - i's in color for example. the problem has to do with the personnel observing the picture. most everyone has metal of some sort in their bags, but not everyone carry a stack of harps with them, and for the uninitiated, it can be difficult to identify. some say, oh that's a harmonica, right? my brother plays; others say, step over this way, sir, and DO NOT touch the bag!. and as someone recently wrote, even when taken out and inspected, some security personnel still may not understand the difference between a marine band and an IED (improvised explosive device). see a past post of mine in the archives about my forced impromptu concert in Manila 2 years or so ago.

5. in the past (pre-9/11) due to lost baggage, theft, and damage concerns, i like i am sure most of you have reasoned, it always made sense to carry on your harps and equipment. well, not this sailor. i pack them in my checked in luggage - it's just not worth the hassle. i carry one - maybe two (diatonic or diatonic/chrom for those long delays.....). with the added security come a benefit - less theft. and, when you think about it, most theft is money, jewelry, cd's, cameras, that sort of thing. no one really want your nasty stinkin' harps. another point: in my experience, there have been improvements in the lost baggage situation. it has been many years now since i lost a bag (for good). some didn't make it to my destination on time, but 98% of the time, i've been okay

6. sometimes, other stuff in your bag will trigger a search at security, and if you are packing harps, mics, and whatnot, you will have that looked into as well. i have tried to drop the notebook computer from my pack list, for example. it's just too much of a hassle. instead i check in on my harp-l digest at an internet cafe, etc.

7. my final tip: always smile. and be nice. i have gotten myself through many a jam that way and, to date - knock on my wood comb - have never been strip-searched or otherwise probed.....and for those who know me and what i look like, that's not easy to say for someone who's face is a cross between a drug-runner and a terrorist. i've been interrogated/detained/anxiously stared at bangkok, hong kong, and even honolulu. had my shoes, belts and seems looked into, but never body parts.

that's it for this installment.

travel safe and play harp safe!

yours in transit,

-sg