[Harp-L] Shure Controlled Reluctance Element...Resistor?

The drummer from my old band gave me the guts from a Shure desk mic that
included a Hi-Z Controlled Reluctance element and a resistor that was at the
time not connected to the element in any way.

My question...what is the purpose of this resistor? Does it need to be
connected to the element? I've seen photos where some of these elements have
a similar resistor attached between both posts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray.
--
www.resgraphics.com/music