Re: [Harp-L] Advice on a First Chromatic

On Oct 1, 2004, at 11:08 PM, Phil Marty wrote:

I've been playing diatonic blues harp for about 3 years and would like to
experiment with chromatic. Wonder if some of the chromatic players could
recommend a first harp.

I was considering the 64 Chromonica or Super 64 Chromonica or possibly going
with a 12-hole and trying the CX12 Chromatic. Or there's always Suzuki, too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
Chicago

1...I would start with a 48 (and wait till later to get the 64).
2...Never mentioned on any list, but the main problem with starting with a 64 is the "Indexing" problem.
3...I like Herings but I would stay away from them (as a starter).
4...To play a Hering well, you need to be a very "clean" player (which I'm NOT saying you aren't).
5...Herings allow a little "bleed-over" and unless you hit the holes DEAD ON, you will double-sound.
6...Hohners are more forgiving in this respect.
7...A 48 will be easier to find WHERE you are because you will use the LEFT end for reference, (IOW "indexing)
8...With a 64, you will find yourself several holes UP the chromo most of the time and (as a starter), it will be harder to tell where you are, (IOW "indexing")
9...And last (but NOT finally), a 48 will give you an occasional situation where you run out of LOWER notes on some tunes. This will GUARANTEE you the JOY of learning to CHANGE the key(s) to Db, D, Eb, and so on. (ALWAYS a good learning tool).
Brand/model?...everyone has their own preferences. I use ONLY Hering/Hohner chromos & spl 20 diats.

Have fun with your new machette......smokey-joe