Re: [Harp-L] behringer acx 1000

<quote>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:05:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: john kuzloski <jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] behringer acx 1000
8<
I've never read about acoustic amps being good or bad for harp.  (Generally
solid states are not recommended, although Richard Hunter talks about using
a keyboard amp to amplify a smaller tube amp via the smaller amps line out.)
Nothing beats trying it out in person; so I will try the behginger.
8<
</quote>

Hi John,
  If you want a clean sound, then theres absolutely nothing wrong with
checking out solid state amps.  Most PAs are solid state, and generally the
good ones sound great when you plug straight into them.
  Tube amps can warm up your tone a touch, but the difference is most
noticable when you want to drive them into distortion.  Solid states usually
(but not always) sound nasty when overdriven, and usuallly nothing like a
tube amp.
  As you say there are some very clever solid state devices (amps, effects
and
preamps) around that offer a convincing substitute for lugging around a tube
amp.  I've found once you're up on stage the simpler the better - its
challenging enough to get a good sound & mix without having to battle with
your gear and feedback.
  As you say, I think its wise of you to try these out for yourself.  Don't
be in a rush to buy something, take your time and compare a range of stuff.
Also keep in mind whatever you play through, different venues and different
volume levels will give different results.  Find a solution that works for
you, then get on with making music.

-- G.