[Harp-L] Airport security and harps

My own brush with the forces making the USA ultra-secure from the threat
of harmonica wielding terrorists:

This past spring I had to fly to San Francisco on business. I took my
harp bag for my carry-on, which is a smallish canvas toolbag. (A Duluth
Tool Company Gatemouth Jr. which works very well as a gig bag - in case
you were wondering.) In it, I had my harps, some CDs, a CD player, and a
book. I keep my harps in a clear Plano fishing tackle organizer in the
bottom of the bag.

When the bag went through X-ray, the security monkey immediately stopped
the machine and summoned the TSA gorillas. They all stared and pointed at

the X-ray monitor for a while and I thought, "Here we go..."

TSA: "Sir, could you please step over here and open your bag?"
Me: "Sure" Open bag.
TSA: "Sir, could you please remove the contents of the bag?"
Me: "Sure"

Remove book. TSA flips through it to make sure it is really a book.
Remove CD player and CD's. TSA makes sure they are really what they are.
Remove tackle organizer.

TSA: "Sir, could you please open that container?"
Me: "Sure" Open tackle organizer.

TSA looks at my neat rows of harmonicas for a while.

TSA: "What are they?"
Me: "Harmonicas."
TSA: (I'm not making this up) "What do they do?"
Me: "They are musical instruments. You play them. They make music."
TSA: "Why do you need so many?"
Me: "They come in different keys. Each song is in some musical key. You
need the right key harmonica to play along." (Thinking to myself - God,
please let's not take this line of questioning any further. I would hate
to have to explain the circle of fifths to this goon.)

TSA stood there a while looking very doubtful. I think he thought that my

explanation of why I needed a bunch of them was BS.

Then..

TSA: "What's inside them?"
Me: "They have a metal reedplate on each side. There are two reeds for
each of those little holes. That's probably what you saw on the X-ray."

TSA is still looking doubtful.

Me: "Would you like me to play one for you?"
TSA: "Have a safe flight sir."

And here I was really hoping to lay down some "Forty-Four Blues" on the
man.

Best regards,
Mike Holcomb