Re: [Harp-L] Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

On Nov 30, 2004, at 3:47 PM, Bill Hines wrote:

I'm a newbie, and I travel a lot for work, lots of driving. I've seen
hints on this list and elsewhere on harp discussion areas of practicing
while driving. So be honest here folks! What's the deal? Wearing a neck
holder like guitar/harp players do, or steering with the knees? Any
better/safer way to accomplish this?

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA

The topic has been the subject of much fireworks. Some are dead set against it, some don't see the big deal. 'I' always felt is was OK if there was no other traffic around, OR I were tooting at a stop light or some such deal.

Playing harp is NOTHING like talking on the cell phone as there is no one on the other end causing you grief or giving you bad news. It is NOTHING like eating or drinking as you usually don't spill hot condiments (or liquids) on yourself. It isn't even like smoking, where you can set your lap on fire or get a hot cinder in your eye.

When I was at the Hershey academy (P.S.P.), we "used" to cover this very subject, but unfortunately, because of insurance companies PRESSURE, most police departments now-a-days tend to be on the "hassle" side. btw, I always kept a harp with me. I just never let anyone see me play it. And, NO, I don't have any wild stories about how my life was saved by a harp. :)

smo-joe