[Harp-L] Re: Driving While Blind (Blowing)?

Bill Hines writes:
I'm a newbie, and I travel a lot for work, lots of driving. I've seen
hints on this list and elsewhere on harp discussion areas of practicing
while driving. So be honest here folks! What's the deal? Wearing a neck
holder like guitar/harp players do, or steering with the knees? Any
better/safer way to accomplish this?

Hi Bill............Playing while driving is dicey.  Some warn against it.
Police consider it akin to driving with a cell phone.  It distracts your
attention from your primary activity, driving.  On the other hand, others play
and drive anyway.  I wrote a song once called "How Wrong Is Too Wrong".  It
about those things that are "just a little bit wrong, so I'll do it anyway".
My confession.  I drive under the influence of a harmonica.  I'd advise against
a neckrack from the stand point that you'll be moving your head around too
much.  I'd also advise against steering with the knees, although that may work
for a moment in a straight away.  When I play, while driving, I hold the harp
with my left hand and keep the other on the wheel.  I don't try to work on
cupping or hand effects.  I work on the melody or tongueing effects.

Best Regards to All,

Larry Boy Pratt
www.parkhousejam.com