Re: [Harp-L] Re:Jazz players.... (George Brooks)

On Nov 29, 2004, at 1:02 PM, Robert Bonfiglio wrote:

George Brooks writes:

We have William
Galison, Mike Turk, and Gregoire Maret. Think we could come up with 47
more?

We are leaving out one the best straight ahead jazz players - Hendrik
Meurkens. I mean he has about 10 CD's on Blue Note, a real Jazz Label.
This guy is a monster on chromatic! I feel that he is so envolved with
the jazz community that the harmonica players overlook him.

When I think of someone to pick up where Toots left off- Toots was also not
mentioned- Hendrik comes to mind.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio

http://www.robertbonfiglio.com/main

Hendrik Meurkens is currently my favorite and I miss the get togethers we used to have when he would visit Pittsburgh. While he only moved from New York city over to Jersey, I (unfortunately) moved to Fla (far far away)
btw: most of Hendrik's stuff is on Concord...also a "Primo" label.

Sooo, I had flown over to the Bahamas for a couple days with a diving buddy and on the way back while spending Thanksgiving with my daughters in Deerfield beach, I was able to catch Randy Singer. Hadn't seen him since Denver. He and Natasha put on a fabulous show at an UP scale rest. "JB's on the Beach". This kid is HOT HOT HOT. Randy has everything a YOUNG Toots would have.

Most performers don't appreciate being compared to someone else, and I wouldn't ever do it but I will use some here ONLY to give folks who don't know him an "overview" (so to speak).

Guitar.....a lot of wonderful minor slurs which he somehow manages to slip into a tune (even if it's in a major).
?? don't know how he does and makes it work, but that's Randy. (sorta Santana-ish)
Voice.....a cross between Billy Joel & Donald Fagen. I thought I was listening to Billy Joel doing Steeley Dan, and Donald Fagan doing Billy Joel. Very very pleasant.
Harmonica.....what can I say, he's one of the best in the country..make that world.
Material.....yeah, it's what people WANT to hear. Instead of doing a lot of crap, this guy KNOWS what an audience wants.
Natasha....reminds me of Cassandra Wilson (only BETTER) with FIRE. This girl can do ANYTHING from Shaka Cahn, Gladys Knight, to Astrid Gilberto.

What a WONDERFUL team. I even got to play (but I fluffed the bridge) on Desafinado. Randy id DEFINITELY "Da Man".
smo-joe (back on the "dark" side of Fla)