[Harp-L] Re : No Excuse Jazz Howard Levy

Excerpts from da men

Michael Peloquin Sez :

please learn some basic theory on a piano, button chromatic or a horn

An Den

Rob Paparozzi Sez's :

Michael,
I totally agree with you on this and can't stress enough the importance of "making an investment of time" on other instruments ie: Guitar, Piano, Sax etc. If your a Diatonic Player ...Piano is BEST and then add the Chromatic. I think these axes will give you the best conceptual "layout" of the theory that you'll be bringing in to your Diatonic practice schedule.

Hurricane Sez :

It was first harmonicas & trumpet for me in the 50's & early 60's , from then I guess I just kind of lived life with many adventures keeping busy and the harps always around but in the " closet " from everyone except friends & family .... Some how in the late 80's I got a recharge of inspiration , dunno where it came , because I was doing O.K. playing allot of stuff on harmonica(s) before and up too this time and then drums , keyboards ( with the theory ) and lastly the guitar come in one after the other in rapid fire sequence and I really surprize the hell out of everyone including ma beeg ole self ! ! !. My coming up to the front made all this happen I suppose , with the new added responsibility of teaching arrangements to other musician ( horn players & mostly guitar players ) , and then my little miracle that allowed me to pick up guitar in 1998 changed my life even more . And it's all good my friends , heh heh , in no way have these added changes impacted my harp playing negatively , to the contrary as my fellow peers Michael & Robert would concur I am sure :)

What both Michael & Robert support as a great way to expand your harmonica playing is true and what's more important is that in learning some of these other instruments you will get an understanding similar to " walking a mile " in some other person's shoes . Talk about gaining respect from one musician(s) to another when you can relate and talk & communicate in a musicians language ... Faster quality practices that use less time and accomplish more and then there is the counter part other type players simply put ( and again with out prejudice ) who's practice sessions are not so stream lined at all ( believe em I just did some like this recently ) but , end up with good results --- it's all good , just one ya had to work harder for that's all I guess .

No disrespect to those who do not play more than one instrument or do not plan on it , each to his own , live and let live , I'm O.K. your O.K. applies here . But as the other fellow peer harmonica men have indicated that learning more than one instrument is a " good thang  " right on right on right on .

I have two beautiful silver flutes I bought my wife , she always wanted to learn how to play one as a child but never had the opportunity , so the big hearted guy I am - - -  now she has not one but two  - - - and now she knows she doesn't want it heh heh heh , so Robert & Michael .... I'ma lookin at deeese two flute ya know and I was justa thinking heh heh ... Think maybe ya might consider taking up the flute - - - - at least one of yous guys ¡ LOL ! heh heh even if I take up flute I can only play one ! ! !

Sincerely :

HR

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com