Re: [Harp-L] Jazz players....

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, George Brooks
<gbrooks1@xxxx> wrote:
> I wrote:
> Berklee probably turns out
> a good number of sax players every year who can
cover a significant
> portion of the jazz repertoire, musically, in every
key, and at real
> tempos.  While the absolute number of chromatic
harmonica players in
> the world who can play jazz at a similar level is
miniscule.

> George

this comment put me in mind of another player who
(maybe) fits your description, George, Antonio Serrano
(antonioserrano.org) (i can't remember now, why did we
leave Toots off the list?). anyway... Serrano went
through a great deal of formal musical studies, with
harmonica as his primary instrument, as i recall.
those of you who are pros or at least very
knowledgeable... if Berklee or a similar school
offered harmonica (chromatic or diatonic) as an
instrument for study, could we be on par with the
legions of sax and piano jazz players out there? or
are only the insanely driven going to get that
distinction ;)

    --Jp