Re: [Harp-L] Jazz players....

Just because someone has the technical ability to play their instrument
according to the score and in any key has VERY little to do with their ability to
play good jazz...

I have played with several virtuosi instrumentalists ... flute oboe clarinet
violin, etc.... But although these folks are WONDERFUL musicians, they can't
play jazz...

I have lost count of the times when at a recording session, the MD has said
to the session  player "Just busk 8 bars there "...

To be told:

"Can't you please write it down for me!" "I just don't improvise!"

Jazz is not IMHO about "writing it down", or playing a "c" vamper
chromatically.
Jazz is about playing the sound as you FEEL the sound... It's the MUSIC that
matters, who cares how you make the sound?

Best wishes
John Walden
Blues Jazz and Classical harmonica player...
Londo