[Harp-L] Re: Blazing fast Country chops

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:15:52 -0500
From: "Edward J Vedock" <harpluvred@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Blazing fast Country chops
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

>What I'm trying to learn is how Charlie McCoy and Terry McMillan and
> various county harp session players play those lightening fast notes.
> --I don't mean the usual county licks--    I mean that blazing fast stuff
> that is used on the up tempo songs. Those Nashville players are so good
at that.

>What are the "notes (holes) and breathing patterns" in those torrid
> chops? They seem to be in the mid section a 10 hole harp most of the
time...?
>I have tried off and on for years and years to figure that out with no
avail. It
> would be soooo gratifying to be able to do that.
>
> Should the harp be country tuned? Is that a given on country songs?
>("not" a Lee Oscar country tuned MM). But the usual 10 hole Hohner harps.
>            Ed

Hi Ed,
I've been using PC software Amazing Slow Downer to figure out what Little
Walter does in some of his solos, you can also use it to change the key of
the song, to repeat a portion of a track, and you can save the results to a
sound file as well.

I've been told by a reliable source that Transcribe! which offers slow down
feature produces better quality, and also has many other useful functions
ASD doesn't have.

You can use ASD with sound files and audio CDs.  Very useful tools.

The trick to playing that fast is a great deal of practice, but it might
help some people to know the licks first.

Rodrigo E. is proof that lots and lots of practice gets the results.
-- G.