RE: [Harp-L] OB, CX or XB?

>>IMHO, here's the root of the problem - the concept that playing one
>or more
>>overblows makes one a better or more advanced musician is what is
>*really*
>>"abunchofhooey."

This is mostly true.  The abilty to get more notes does not make one
a better musician.  What is being overlooked is the fact that players
who seek out the all of the notes on their instrument is typically a
person who doesn't like to be limited.  This is a person who strives
to be everything he/she can on that instrument. The is greater
potential for a person that now has a choice between having and not
needing a note rather than needing and note having.

So a person says I don't need to get all of the notes if I play
blues. Why does blues harp playing have to end with guys like Walter,
Sonny Boy etc...?  Guys like Carlos Del Junco and Jason Ricci are
doing extrodinary things with their instruments.  They are defining a
new wave of blues playing yet are still able to pay hommage to our
blues harmonica fathers.

I don't know about y'all but my father is a good man, smart man,
successful etc... yet I don't want to be like him nor would I want
his life.  How many of you agree in your own situation?  This concept
isn't limited to paternal ties...is there any person on this planet
or throughout history that you'd rather give up what you have now so
you could be just like that person?  I don't think so.  If you then I
suggest you contact Dr. Phil.

So why try to play just like anybody else? I applaud guys like
Hunter, Bonfiglio and Fairweather etc...because they are defining
their own sound.  Laying down their own path in history. I don't have
to like their music and appreciate what they do for us.

>>The argument that what the audience thinks is most important works
>both ways.
>>I think the audience frequently reacts more to showmanship than
>musicianship.
>>Lay on the floor, walk the bar, go wireless, dress nice and the
>audience will
>>love ya. They don't know or care about embossing, gapping, how many
>reads are
>>being bent in which slot in which direction. Sad, for many of us
>harp geeks,
>>but true.

This may be true but in my case it is definately the music.  Anyone
who knows me knows I do not have an ounce of stage presence.  I don't
talk in the mic.  I don't introduce myself or others, I just play and
let the cards fall where they may.

>>Me? I'll just work on timing, tone, feel, groove, texture, and
>expanding my
>>musicality in as many ways as I can.

Why because it makes you a better or more advance musician?  Why yes
of course it does.  Just like learning to play all of the notes is a
component of the same. So yes, knowing how to playing one or two
overblows does make one a more advanced player if even slightly.
Being a better musician is know when and when not to employ a certain
tone, feel, groove, texture, overblow, bend etc...  Having
possiblites and using them beautifully is the mark of an artist. And
that's NOT "abunchofhooey"

Chris Michalek

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have
it."  - Mr Figglesby regarding musical prowess