[Harp-L] Potato Potahtoe/Cherrypicking

I wrote my "no one but Howard" post in response to a post of David Fairweather's, in which he voiced his suspicion that "overblow" players "cherrypick" the tunes they call at jazz jams. I replied that Howard doesn't have to, but that everybody else does. I then expressed the opinion that the only person who can play "no-excuses jazz" on the short harp is Howard. My post stated what I mean by "no-excuses jazz": the ability to play whatever tune someone else calls at any tempo in any key.

Pierre responded, in part:

>Seems to me that if someone wants
>to play  no-excuses jazz, he would
>be best to follow Richard's advice
>[get a button chromatic and learn
>how to play it] unless he is willing
>to dedicate every waking moment
>of his life to his instrument.

I have some better advice: get a saxophone. Or a trumpet, piano, or guitar. "No-excuses jazz," as I have defined it, sets a very high mark. While there are probably over a thousand saxophone players (and trumpet, piano, and guitar players) who meet this mark worldwide, the same cannot be said of harmonica players. If we're talking about people who can play the more complex and demanding jazz tunes convincingly at tempo, we have a short list headed by people like William Galison and Mike Turk. I doubt if the list totals fifty names worldwide. I'm not talking about people who can play well or play some jazz tunes well, but who can really play "no-excuses jazz" as I have defined it. That's a lot more button chromatic players than short harp players, but it's still not very many in absolute terms.

It is true that playing chromatically on the "diatonic" presents intonation challenges that the button chromatic does not share. But the button chromatic is still an awkward instrument for jazz because of its mechanics. There are the in-out breath direction changes, the fact that you have to move the whole instrument as opposed to just your fingers, and the need to coordinate the slide movements with the movements of the instrument and the breath direction changes. Cherokee at tempo in a non-standard key? Good luck to Mr. Hunter and his CX-12. Yet I have no doubt that if Richard, with the degree of talent and musicality and discipline that he possesses, had applied himself to the alto saxophone rather than the harmonica, this would easily be within his ability today.

Pierre continues:

>Getting back to what Richard said:

	>Richard is viewing as limitations are
	>merely issues that can and will be overcome.
	>[quoting from my earlier post]

>I don't understand how you can say that.
>There's no magic here each diatonic harp
>no excuse jazz player wannabee has to figure
>it all out by himself. Seems to me the issues
>are very real. If you want the expressiveness
>of the diatonic or to break new ground, the
>diatonic is the way to go.  Otherwise to me the
>choice is simple.

The issues are indeed real, and I think most people who want to play chromatically on the short harp (or even to simply incorporate overblows selectively in their playing) need to pay closer attention to issues of articulation and intonation. But these are issues of technique, serious though they may be, and not limitations of the instrument. I *do* want the expressiveness of the diatonic, and, though I have no desire to be a jazz player, I do intend to play it chromatically.

If you want to play difficult jazz on the harmonica and you are not Howard Levy, my advice is congruent with Richard Hunter's and with Pierre's simple choice: buy a button chromatic and learn how to play it. If you aspire to play *no-excuses jazz* as I have defined it, for real, my advice is to pick up some other instrument more readily suited to the music unless you have an unusual combination of talent and determination.

George