Re: [Harp-L] OB, CX or XB?

Hey Jazmaan,

--- "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
<<snip>>
> Still its SO close, that I have to wonder, is it
> sheer stubborness and invested interest that
> keeps the overblowers on their monkish path?  Or
> do they really prefer the sound of the OB to the
> sound of the XB?

"Monkish path"? LOL! I love that! That may be true
for some OB devotees, but, I believe the number of
players who pursue OB playing on diatonic
exclusively are very, very few, compared to the
number who are using OBs in their play, but not to
the exclusion of other kinds of harps.

Speaking purely of my own "path"... I've been a
diatonic guy for most of my life. I also really,
~really~ enjoy the sound of chromatics AND the
XB-40. They each have their own strengths and
weaknesses.

I came onto chromatics about 6 or 8 years ago and
enjoy playing them very much. I totally get off on
their sound for the George Smith-style blues with
lots of big octaves, and for Jump style songs. Not
a big standards player... I never chased down jazz
very seriously, but I love getting into a jazzy
groove on chro, however primitive my chromatic
playing may be... and yes, I DO use the button. ;-)

I also own an XB-40 that I really enjoy for both
bluesy and more melodic play. I really dig the fact
that it's a valved diatonic instrument so that
5-draw sounds pure and natural, and can be bent to
suit the song. Never cared for the sound of the 5
draw on diatonics, so if a chord change lands me
there, I try to play around it.

Still, the XB is a new beast that I'm still
exploring as to its possibilties. It's very cool in
it's own way.

Yeah, and OB's are cool too. I don't think I'll
ever pursue them to the exclusivity of other
styles of play or other kinds of harps. What would
be the point?

You might say my path is a path of diversity. In my
case, the subject line should read "OB, CX and
XB"... (although, truth to tell, I don't much care
for the sound of the CX-12 as compared to other
chromatics).

So, maybe I'm a "Jack of all Harps, Master of
None," but I don't really care. I'm having too much
fun.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.