[Harp-L] Re: Three questions

Ben Nathanson asked as one of 3 questions - who played harp on David
Bromberg's 1st Columbia album.

Here's the info I found. I know Bob Dylan played harp on Sammy's Song. Willow
Scarlett is listed as the harp player for Deliah. I'll ask David next week.

David Bromberg - guitar, vocals
David Amram - horn
Norman Blake - guitar
Steve Burgh - bass, vocals
Vassar Clements - violin
Bob Dylan - harmonica (on Sammy's Song)
Richard Grando - saxophone
Steve Mosley - drums, vocals
David Nichtern - keyboards, vocals
Willow Scarlett - harmonica
Randy Scruggs - bass
Jody Stecher - mandolin, vocals
Tut Taylor - mandolin

David Bromberg is featured on the cover of this month's Dirty Linen magazine.
There's a picture of me playing with him in the article inside.

I met David Bromberg just about a year ago. He was playing in a blues jam
here in town. At the break, the house band keyboard man announced that "anyone
playing guitar, bass, drums, or key sis welcome to play - if you are a harmonica
player, go home."

I talked with the keyborad player and he asked what I played. I said harp. He
smiled and said he was just joking, but David Bromberg usually doesn't like
harp players - but go get your harp and come on up. I went to the car, got the
small amp and harps I had brought, and came back in and waited.

Toward the end of the night the house band returned and went into a slow
blues. I plugged in and stood off to the side. David Bromberg motioned to me to
take a solo, the band brought the dynamics way down, and I played.... After the
1st 4 bars, David Bromberg gave me I look I'll always remember, that 'whoa,
this guy can *play* look"

I was given 24 bars and had the time of my life. Afterwards, David asked what
I was doing New Years Eve. I mumbled that I had a gig at the City's First
Night Clebration in the Hotel DuPont from 9-10. He asked me if I would join him
and the house band for an earlier time slot in the MBNA tent in the City
Square. After I regained my composure, I asked him about his real feeling about harp
players. He said, with a grin and twinkle in his eyes, that he had run into
quite a few in his years of performing, and that I was "one of about 14 harp
players that should be allowed to continue to draw breath."

I played with David Bromberg that New Year's Eve, and now I'm in the house
band.

Andy Vincent