RE: [Harp-L] Adler and Django got hot rhythm

Howard,

Welcome to the world of jazz. The George Gershwin song "I Got Rhythm"
is the source for one of the most popular chord progressions of the
bebop era, second only to blues . This form is simply called rhythm
changes. As with the blues progression, there are many possible
variations on rhythm changes. Most tunes based on rhythm changes are
played in the key of Bb, and are played at very fast tempos. These
songs have a 32 bar AABA form based on the chord progression:

A || Bbmaj7 G7  | Cm7    F7  | Bbmaj7 G7 | Cm7   F7  |
   | Fm7    Bb7 | Ebmaj7 Ab7 | Dm7    G7 | Cm7   F7  ||

A || Bbmaj7 G7  | Cm7    F7  | Bbmaj7 G7 | Cm7   F7  |
   | Fm7    Bb7 | Ebmaj7 Ab7 | Cm7    F7 | Bbmaj7    ||

B || Am7        | D7         | Dm7       | G7        |
   | Gm7        | C7         | Cm7       | F7        ||

A || Bbmaj7 G7  | Cm7    F7  | Bbmaj7 G7 | Cm7   F7  |
   | Fm7    Bb7 | Ebmaj7 Ab7 | Cm7    F7 | Bbmaj7    ||

Many jazz tunes contain slight alterations to this basic progression,
especially in the last four measures of the A sections. Some of the
common alterations are to replace the second chord G7 with a
diminished chord Bdim, or to replace the fifth chord Bbmaj7 with Dm7.
The former substitution has already been described under the
diminished scale. The latter replaces a I chord with a iii chord,
which has three of four notes in common, and the respective scales
differ by only one note. Furthermore, the Dm7 and following G7 form a
ii-V in C minor, so this is an especially strong substitution
harmonically.
The important characteristics of rhythm changes are the repeated
I-VI-ii-V (or substitutes) in the first four bars of the A sections,
and the basic tonality movements by fifths in the bridge, leading
back to the original tonic in the last A section. If you intend to
become an improvising musician, you should become fluent in the basic
rhythm changes, particularly in the key of Bb, and become familiar
with the particular variations associated with specific tunes. This
is also a good opportunity to try out what you have learned about
ii-V's, and to work on your up tempo playing.