From: Rick Epping
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 2:05 PM
To: 'harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx'
Cc: 'moorcot@xxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] How to Paddy Richter my new XB40...

Hi Steve,

Much of the Irish and Old Time music I play is on retuned XB-40s; though
I use a tuning with the 2- & 3-draw notes lowered a wholetone instead of
the 3-blow note raised a wholetone.  The technique for retuning regular
blow and draw reeds on the XB-40 is the same as for any harmonica and
these reeds should be retuned first before retuning the zero-offset
auxiliary reeds.  After tuning a regular reed, its auxiliary reed should
be retuned according to how far you desire the note to be bendable.  On
your XB-40 G Paddy Richter with the 3-blow retuned from D to E, you can
retune the 3-blow auxiliary reed, which actually occupies the 3-draw
reed position on the top reedplate, to permit a semitone bend from E to
D# or a wholetone bend from E to D, or more if you want.  If you wish to
maintain the wholetone bend pattern you might start by plucking the
3-blow auxiliary reed to determine its natural frequency then retune it
a wholetone higher.  Fine tuning of the 3-blow auxiliary reed is tested
by bending the 3-blow note with the reedplates assembled on the comb,
using a normal blow bend playing technique.  Finally, after tuning the
auxiliary reed the regular reed should be checked again for possible
additional fine tuning.

The main difference in tuning XB-40 reeds is the method of accessing the
inside reeds without removing the reedplates from the comb.  It's not
possible to lift inside reeds with a reed slip or wire inserted through
the mouthpiece holes as with other harmonicas so I've designed a reed
pick for this purpose based on similar tools used to lift accordion
reeds.  Made of .002 inch stainless steel feeler gauge and cut out with
a pair of sharp scissors, it's thin enough to be inserted between the
slot and the reed tip and safely lift the inside reed up out of its slot
and yet stiff enough to support the reed when working on the tip.  Once
the reed is lifted, a longer and heavier reed slip can be inserted
beneath the tool if needed to support the reed farther back toward the
rivet for lowering of pitch.  There is a bit of technique involved in
using this tool but a drawing I've made along with some photos showing
the tool in use may be helpful in making and using the reed pick.  As
with any new service technique it's best to first practice on worn out
harps.  This tool can of course be used on any type of harmonica.

I have no way to post these photos on a website but I'd be happy to
email them.  Just contact me off-list.  The 6 photos have a combined
size of less than 1 MB.

Best regards,

Rick Epping
Hohner, Inc.